The Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Mark 15: 1-39 (Short Version)
- It was two days before the Passover and the feast of Unleavened Bread, and the chief priests and the scribes were looking for a way to arrest Jesus by some trick and have him put to death. For they said,
- It must not be during the festivities, or there will be a disturbance among the people.
- Jesus was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper; he was at dinner when a woman came in with an alabaster jar of very costly ointment, pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the ointment on his head. Some who were there said to one another indignantly,
- Why this waste of ointment? Ointment like this could have been sold for over three hundred denarii and the money given to the poor.
- and they were angry with her. But Jesus said,
✠ Leave her alone. Why are you upsetting her? What she has done for me is one of the good works. You have the poor with you always, and you can be kind to them whenever you wish, but you will not always have me. She has done what was in her power to do: she has anointed my body beforehand for its burial. I tell you solemnly, wherever throughout all the world the Good News is proclaimed, what she has done will be told also, in remembrance of her…
(download reading below)